Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I go for study abroad related inquiries? 
Office of International Education (OIE). You may either come in or email at
How does study abroad work? 
There are two ways to study abroad—going to one of ESU’s partner schools or going through an ESU affiliated study abroad provider. Credits and grades from abroad will/have to transfer back to ESU.  
Can I graduate in 4 years? 
Yes, as long as you plan well. It is crucial to take classes that will count for your degree plan while abroad, and that requires a lot of planning and communication with the OIE and your academic adviser.  
When should I study abroad? 
You can study abroad anytime except for your freshman year (regardless of how many credits you begin with) and last semester at ESU. The ESU residency requirement states that students have to complete 30 of their final 45 hours at ESU with 6 of the final 12 at ESU.  This last part is what restricts students from completing their Study Abroad experience during their final semester.

I am a transfer student, when can I study abroad?
As previously stated, students cannot study their freshman year, nor their last semester. Transfer students must study at least one semester at ESU before studying abroad.

How much time do I need for planning? 
We recommend that you come to the Office of International Education and talk about your plans a year in advance. 
How much does it cost to study abroad? 
When you study abroad, the main things you will pay for are your flight, insurance, room and board, and tuition, and they all vary depending on the length and country. Most of the time students pay ESU tuition.
Will I still get financial aid? 
Yes, as long as the classes you take abroad are approved by the department chair. In order to get financial aid, you have to take classes that are necessary for your degree.  

Do I need to know a foreign language?
Proficiency in a foreign language is not always required for a study abroad experience, although it helps! Some ESU students decide to study abroad in English speaking countries such as Australia or England. In addition, students will find many foreign universities offer instruction in English, regardless of the national language.

Will I receive academic credits when I study abroad?
All study abroad activity is credit-bearing. The mechanic of obtaining credits will differ, depending on the program of choice.
  • Faculty-led programs do not require a credit transfer. The amount of credits obtained are decided by the leading faculty member of the program.
  • Non-ESU programs (i.e. ISEP, summer program, etc.) will require a transfer of credits. To transfer credits, students need to fill-out a Prior Approval Form. The Prior Approval Form, found in your pre-approval phase on TerraDotta, will list the courses you intend to take abroad and their ESU equivalencies, approved by the corresponding Department Chairs and your adviser.
All non-ESU study abroad programs also require that students submit a Post-Approval Form upon return. The Post Approval Form lists all the courses taken and approved at the host university and needs to match the transcript received from the academic institution overseas. All approved credits are transferred after a study abroad experience. Where possible, grades may also be transferred.
The student is responsible for requesting at the host university that an official transcript to be sent directly to the Office of International Education. 

I'm thinking about studying abroad. What is the next step?
1. Make an appointment with the OIE study abroad adviser ( to discuss your study abroad plans and decide if and when studying abroad is right for you.
2. Meet with your academic adviser to see how your plans to study abroad fit with your academic progress.
3. Begin Completing your ESU Study Abroad Application on TerraDotta, following carefully the checklist and instructions.
4. Complete your Prior-Approval Form with your academic adviser.